Wednesday, April 18, 2012

ATC Spring Has Spring 15K April 14, 2012

So Saturday was the big day, the 15K, that's 9.3 miles for those of us metrically challenged.  I was pretty pumped for this one.  It was basically my test for how I was going to fair in the Dawsonville Half coming up in June.  I passed my personal test with flying colors.  I followed my plan exactly as I envisioned it and finished right on my goal time, which because if my metrically challenged state was a little faster pace than I thought. My plan was to run 6 minutes then walk 1 minute from the beginning to the end.  After my 10K where I started way too fast and didn't have any energy to run the hills at the end of the race, I was determined to make sure I was able to finish strong by not letting myself burn out.  It worked, I was able to completely smash the big hill that marked the beginning of the race and the beginning of the second lap (there was an 8k at the same time that finished with just 1 lap). I think I will make the run interval 8 minutes for the Half, which will have me walking about once every mile.  Coming up on April 28th will be the Boulder Dash, a 5K in Cumming, GA that should be a fun run.  I don't have any big plans for it other than finish it and  set a new PR for a 5K which won't be a problem as my training runs are easily faster than my last 5K.  I'm sure that the honeymoon period of setting a new PR in every race will come to an end soon but I plan on enjoying it while it lasts.  In May I am running a 5K on my home course - its in my neighborhood on the roads I run on everyday, so I am really going to go for it then.  Back to the race, I really enjoyed running this one. Special thanks to the Atlanta Track Club for the wonderful race experience.  This race was part of their Grand Prix series so no T-shirts, medals, swag, etc. Just a wonderfully organized race experience.  The course was a little more hilly than I thought from looking at maps.  I had not been to Old Fourth Ward Park, which was the sight of the start and finish of the race. It was the perfect place to rest after a long run.  I didn't save my mile times because my watch was doing the 8/1 interval timing so I am not sure about how much I slowed up during the race but I did feel great but tired at the end.  I drank a bit of water at the second water station around mile 6 but didn't really need it.  As I start getting into the 1:30 - 2:00 runs over the next few weeks, I need to figure out how to handle hydration for the Half.  That's about it, looking forward to the next month of training and getting up to that 13 mile mark.

RACING RESULTS
Date:14/Apr/12 7:30 AM
Type:Race
Course:Spring Has Sprung 15K
Distance:15 kilometers
Duration:1:28:59
Pace:9:33 / mile
Equipment:Mizuno Wave Rider 14 (Mizuno1)
Weight:197.8 lb
Misc:Quality: 10/10, Effort: 10/10
Field Placement:217 / 316 (68.7%)
Age group:40 – 44
Group Placement:21 / 25 (84%)
Gender Placement:138 / 171 (80.7%)
Weather:50° F, Sunny
Notes:Atlanta Track Club Spring Has Spring 15K - Hills definitely take the energy out but finish faster than my goal so it was a total success but boy am I tired now.
Statistics:Calories: 1394
VO2 Max: 33.8

No comments:

Post a Comment